Problem Solving Breakout Discussions
WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 26 | 10:40-11:10AM
BREAKOUT 1: Extracellular Vesicles (EV) are Heterogenous, but Would Single EV Analysis be Helpful for Making Clinical Decisions?
Lydia Sohn, PhD, Chancellor’s Professor, Mechanical Engineering; Faculty Assistant to the Vice Chancellor for Research, UC Berkeley
BREAKOUT 2: Risk Management for Point-of-Care Testing
James Nichols, PhD, DABCC, FACB, Professor, Pathology, Microbiology and Immunology; Medical Director, Clinical Chemistry; Medical Director, POCT, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Recognize common sources of error at the point-of-care
- Identify CLSI EP23 guideline as a resource for risk management
- Describe some novel control processes developed by manufacturers to address specific errors
BREAKOUT 3: Work Smarter, Not Harder: Tips to Make Your POCT Life Easier
Joe Wiencek, PhD, Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology; Medical Director, Point-of-Care Testing; Associate Medical Director, Clinical Chemistry; Co-Director, Clinical Chemistry Fellowship, University of Virginia School of Medicine
BREAKOUT 4: Reimbursement Issues with COVID-19 Testing
Ester Stein, Director, Corporate Reimbursement, Government Affairs, Abbott Laboratories
Jim Almas, MD, Vice President and National Medical Director, Clinical Effectiveness, LabCorp
BREAKOUT 5: Working with CMS Contractors
Gabriel Bien-Willner, MD, PhD, Medical Director, MolDx, Palmetto GBA
BREAKOUT 6: Disruptive Technologies and Approaches for Companion Diagnostics and Clinical Biomarkers
Neeraj Adya, PhD, Head, Diagnostics, Genmab
THURSDAY, AUGUST 27 | 10:15-10:45AM
BREAKOUT 8: Clinical Metagenomic Sequencing
Nathan Ledeboer, PhD, Professor and Vice Chair, Pathology and Medical Director, Medical College of Wisconsin
BREAKOUT 9: Getting a Foot in the SBIR Grant Rat Race
Robert Duncan, PhD, Principal Investigator, Office of Blood Research and Review, Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research (CBER), FDA
- What defines Small Business Innovation Research?
- What is the importance of interaction with the NIH Project Managers?
- What is the Phase I Grant? Visualize proof of concept research.
- What is the Phase II Grant? Visualize larger scale funding for research that leads to a commercialization plan?
BREAKOUT 10: How AI-Based Devices can Better Inform Clinical Decision-Making
Sharief Taraman, MD, CMO, Cognoa; Division Chief, CHOC Children’s Hospital
- Digital technologies can address healthcare disparities for more equitable outcomes and become first-line-of care, solving the access challenge
- Digital devices have safety/low-risk advantages over drugs and can enable combination therapies that are more effective
BREAKOUT 11: Blood-Based Biomarkers in Oncology
Jonathan Baden, MS, Senior Director, Pharmacodiagnostic, Bristol-Myers Squibb
Katie Streicher, PhD, Associate Director, Translational Medicine, Research and Early Development, Oncology R&D, AstraZeneca
BREAKOUT 12: Comprehensive Approach to Early Detection of Disease
John Sninsky, PhD, Independent Consultant, Translational Medicine and Science
BREAKOUT 13: Genomic Biomarkers in Oncology: Today and Tomorrow
Carl Morrison, Senior Vice President, Pathology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute